1. Act as confidential assistant to the Tribal Operations Manager including records management, scheduling, setting up meetings, writing correspondence and reports and researching information as assigned. May supervise other Tribal Secretarial positions and Administrative Specialist for Government Relations, including all performance management responsibilities.
2. Plan, coordinate, assign, prioritize, provide directions and monitor the quality of work of subordinate employees. Identify and solve workload and scheduling problems to ensure deadlines are met; provide assistance to staff with difficult assignments. Interview, select and train employees for assigned positions; evaluate employees’ performance and determine necessary action; coordinate and implement decisions on discipline problems and approve leaves.
3. Provide specialized and/or technical information and advice that requires interpretation of established policies, procedures and other relevant sources to internal and/or external customers over the telephone, in writing and/or in person, often involving complex, sensitive, confidential problems and/or potentially volatile situations.
4. Consult statutes, ordinances, contracts and other sources involving complex subjects and specialized terminology; summarize information and prepare reports based on analyses of data and other information sources, including spreadsheets and customized data applications.
5. According to established policies and prescribed guidelines, control and/or oversee the proper maintenance, archiving, release, and destruction of vital records, exhibits and/or files that may impose severe consequences on the Tribe if mishandled.
6. Perform moderate to complex numerical calculations involving accounts payable, accounts receivable, reconciling accounts, monitoring expenditures, preparing and monitoring budgets, payroll and/or other applications.
7. May generate responses to internal and/or external customers addressing complaints, concerns and problems of a controversial and sensitive nature that must be treated with a high degree of discretion; work may involve legal, and/or other specialized materials, extensive statistical reports, editing policies and procedures, ordinances, contracts, public notices or other documents, requiring a comprehensive understanding of the subject matter.
8. Process mail that may require attaching related correspondence or information before forwarding; selecting mail to handle personally where the response requires specialized knowledge of the assigned function; identifying priority and/or time sensitive matters; and ensuring security and confidentiality. May be responsible for planning and organizing mail-handling functions involving a large volume and variety of mail, or for coordinating large-scale publication and distribution projects.
9. May attend and record public and/or departmental hearings and/or meetings, and at times may be required to make presentations. Represent organization at various functions, including administrative hearings, proceedings, court inquiries, committees and meetings.
10. May schedule meetings, make training and travel arrangements, and maintain calendars for Operations Manager.
Because of the Tribe’s commitment to community service and the well being of its members, each employee may be expected to perform a wide range of office and field duties from time to time. Such duties may or may not be related to their regular responsibilities.